photo HOMEPAGE.png  photo ABOUT30.png  photo MILAJO.png  photo Unknown.png  photo ADOPTION30.png  photo OurHome.png

Thursday, November 10, 2011

School Blues


{Linking up with Emily for Embrace the Camera. At least Ella and Jo are looking fab...right?}

It has been a rough week for Josiah. On Monday he told his preschool teacher that she needed to call me because he was sick.
He was not sick.
Tuesday he cried when I dropped him off.
Wednesday he started to cry again at drop off and refused to let go of my leg.

This is not my Josiah. He is social, loves learning, and loves his school.

So I asked his teacher if he was doing ok in the classroom and she told me that he's been reserved and distant. The kids are having a hard time understanding him, and because of that he is beginning to distance himself from them.

I literally had to hold back the tears when she told me this.

Josiah is extremely sensitive, but he has never been shy or distant with other kids. We knew that his speech delay might cause some problems as he entered Elementary School, but to find out that it's changing his outgoing personality already is devastating to me.

He is still too young to really know what's wrong or that he even has a problem with his "words"; but I know. I know that friends will come and go in his life. And I know that his feelings will be hurt, and kids might even make fun of him for it. But I'm his Mom, and I want to shield him from anything that will bring him pain.

He will be fine. I guess it's just me that's going to have to "be tough". I can't cry every time a teacher tells me he's struggling with something. I'll look like a nut job! And one of my biggest worries is looking like a fool to my kid's teachers. But I can pretty much guarantee that's going to happen!

I know that prayer works. I will keep praying that Jo's speech with continue to improve and that it will not make him feel sad, or different. We are so blessed by how perfect our children are. I know it could be SO much worse. God is good, and all things are under His control!

But "oh my", I have never felt that kind of pain before. Feeling sorrow for you kids is awful. Especially when there is not much you can do to help it! Thank God for ice cream, helps all sort of problems!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor baby! I would probably feel the same way you do. I am so sensitive myself and don't have children yet, so I can't imagine how you would feel. Prayer does work!! Our God is big and is a God who heals. Praying for you little one!
visiting from "embrace the camera"
redemptionisbeautiful.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry to hear this! He is adorable! I have a 15 month old that I stay at home with and I am terrified that she might be "shell shock" when we enter her into school. I will pray for your little guy and for peace for you. You're sound like a great mama and I'm sure those teachers would agree and not think you're "crazy"

The Norvells said...

Oh Bethany, my heart breaks for you and Jo. In my Bible study this morning, we were talking about struggles God puts us through to push us closer to Him. Cling to Him, pray for His guidance and His love. Jo will get through this and so will you! I love you friend.

Anonymous said...

I happened to find your blog while on Casey Wiegand's blog. I saw the thumnnail of your sweet little girl and the title of your blog caught me; so I stopped by. I read your "School Blues" post and my heart broke for you, but I want to try and encourage you. I am a preschool teacher and after about a month and a half of school, a new student was transferred to my class. I was told she had her struggles (ADD/ADHD and sensory issues) and that things had been difficult. On her first day in my class, everything I was told about her rang true and the other children in my class seemed to have a tough time adjusting. But Glory to God, through persistent prayer and a believing heart(after not quite a month in our class) we just finished our first successful week without the first issue. I know we will face more issues down the road, but I am beginning to see change, the change I've prayed for. God hears your prayers, He knows your heart, keep praying. A breakthrough WILL happen, things WILL improve and God will bless you beyond your wildest imagination.