photo HOMEPAGE.png  photo ABOUT30.png  photo MILAJO.png  photo Unknown.png  photo ADOPTION30.png  photo OurHome.png

Monday, October 1, 2012

Back Again

 It started again on Wednesday.
Ella got a cough and I just knew we were in for it.

We have a history of struggling with colds.

Every time Micah gets a runny nose I have to give him his inhaler. At this point he had not been technically diagnosed as asthmatic; we fixed that this weekend.
On Thursday he got the runny nose and by that afternoon I had to give him his nebulizer.
This was the first time I had to give him this. 3 times I tried with no improvement.


I was praying and praying and praying that we wouldn't have to stay another night. But as soon as we got there he was put onto oxygen. Not a good sign. Then we were admitted for the night. 
This ended up being our most difficult stay yet. 
He was exhausted and manifesting it by fighting every treatment. 
I'll tell you one thing about Micah; he is strong. Really strong. It took 3 of us to pin him down to take his treatments. If you've ever had to hold your child down you know what kind of torture that is for a mother. I'm supposed to protect and comfort him, and instead I'm holding his arms and head still. 
It was miserable.

He was then officially diagnosed as having asthma and given more steroids and a daily inhaler.
We were released 24 hours into our stay and I have never been happier to be home.

Then…

Just 18 hours later I was on my way back to Children's Hospital with Josiah. 
He seemed to be struggling to breath. I didn't know if I was being paranoid, but something didn't seem right. 
His oxygen was ok when we got in (93), but he was retracting (he was pulling from his abdomen when he took breaths) and his respiratory rate was right around 44 (normal is around 22).



So they began treating it like an asthma attack.
Seriously, Lord? I was just here. With a different child. Why? 
I was fried. My nerves were gone. I had nothing left to give.
When the Dr came in and said we would probably be admitted to for the night I cried. How awful is that? I cried in front of Josiah, who was being so strong. I just couldn't bear the thought that this was happening all over again.

It started to look better. Like we wouldn't have to stay the night.
Then it got worse. Much worse.
He spiked a temperature. And began to look really miserable.
He didn't complain once. Not once. He's amazing.
But he was having an allergic reaction to the medicine that made him turn red. BRIGHT RED.

They took him off of the continuous medicine and he improved drastically.
He was diagnosed as having an asthma attack due to an atypical pneumonia.
They gave him an antibiotic and tylanol and he was feeling like himself again.
They ended up letting us leave right around 1:30 AM.

But it's so strange to have two kids on the same medication for two separate visits to the hospital.
It has truly been one of the hardest weekends of our lives.
I am happy to be home; but I'm still struggling to recover.

Sometimes it's really hard to see the Lord's plan in certain situations. I know he is in control. But I won't lie…I'm a bit perturbed and tired.
But God is good. All the time.

James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.


4 comments:

Pa Brian said...

As I try to think of something to say that is encouraging, I hope not to come across being arrogant. God has an amazing ability( ok, He has a lot of amazing abilities) to make us realize who we are and how much we need Him to spare us anymore heartbreak., especially when it comes to our children. They are the love of lives. He is not ignorant of what is happening to them, or for that matter of what is going on in us. It seems He is ignoring us which is not true. Just because we don't "get" what is going on doesn't mean He has changed His deep deep love for us. I am so greatful even when I am with out faith and acting like a dumb a**, He is the same and never ever changes His mind about who He says and called us and our children to be will never change. Sorry no scripture references are included today from me. You already quoted The book of James. Love all of you, Dad

Erin said...

A perfect verse to remind of where our minds should be kept during trials. Choosing joy does not always mean happy, and God is there to comfort you in those times too, as well as listen to your heart so he can take those burdens and carry them for you. Praying for you and your family to have his peace during this nerve rattling time!

Sean and Rachel said...

I think Dad made some pretty good remarks. I will continue to pray that we don't have to deal with the same struggles you do, cause I don't want to see my baby struggle. But doesn't God have such a greater and better plan for them than we do. Your kiddos are already showing God's will and love so much. I learn from them about God all the time. They're amazing, and you're an amazing mama. Love you guys!

Jamie W said...

oh my gosh! I am glad the boys are okay. :( I know the feeling with the nebulizer. xo!