photo HOMEPAGE.png  photo ABOUT30.png  photo MILAJO.png  photo Unknown.png  photo ADOPTION30.png  photo OurHome.png

Monday, December 3, 2012

Obedience

When I was growing up I had this little name card.
You know, the card that has your name at the top and a lot of facts or a verse to go with it.


The card I had said Bethany meant "House of Obiedence".  Just now, while doing a little research everything I found said it meant "House of Figs" or "House of God" (like th particular card pictured above).
It may have just been my parents way of encouraging me to be obedient. But either way, I'm sticking with my childhood memory and keeping my meaning as "House of Obedience".

"Why?" You may ask….

I was a pretty obedient child don't ask my mother that. I always tried to follow the rules. I got one speeding ticket; learned my lesson about the law. I got caught cheating (I know); learned my lesson about lying. I've always had a knack for following the rules. Even when I haven't always wanted to.

I didn't date much; I married my first boyfriend. I was a good girl.
I didn't always want to be a good girl. I made plenty of mistakes, but God was always there for me. Protecting me. Reminding me he was there with me, even when I didn't want to be there with him.
I may have always followed the rules but my heart wasn't always wanting to be obedient. I mostly always chose to do the right thing because I was a rule follower, and I didn't want to break the rules in fear of the consequences.
That is not what God wants from me. He wants a heart that yearns to be obedient to him.


I know a wise woman, Barbara. She is in her eighties and has a heart that is totally devoted to Jesus.
She once told a story of a time when God called her to do something that she didn't want to do. She said: "God, what if I don't do this? He said 'Then I'll find somebody who will.'." This has impacted me more than anything I've ever heard from her.
Our God is powerful! He is mighty and his will is supreme. His plan is true, just, and will be fulfilled; with or without our help. God doesn't need us to make his plan work, but he allows us to be part of it.
He allows us to see the blessings and the benefits of his perfect and pleasing will. All we need to be is obedient.

James and I are about to embark on a true time of trusting in God's plan.
Even though we know this may be a difficult time for us, we are working on being obedient, and trusting that his plan is good.
I have a snapshot of what our future may look like, but God has the entire piece of artwork. I am nervously and anxiously awaiting to see his glorious plan for our lives. Who knows what blessings he holds in store for all those who submit to his will.


4 comments:

PJ @ Planned in Pencil said...

Bethany what a beautiful testimony. I had that card. Pamela "sweet as honey" over the years Ive lost that sweetness, that caring attitude, Ive become bitter and jaded. Lately the call on my heart to find my kindness is loud. Its my goal for 2013.

Unknown said...

This is so lovely and such a great reminder. I had the very same type of card in my Bible since I was a young girl, mine says "appearance of God"..

www.littlegems3.blogspot.com

Erin said...

My husband and I are in a very similar place, big scary ways we are being called to step out and walk in obedience, but big great ways for God to work! I am excited to see how the Lord works in and through you!

Sean and Rachel said...

"God doesn't need us to make his plan work, but he allows us to be part of it."

How truly blessed we are that this is the truth! He actually GIVES us the opportunity to be a part of Him. Thanks for encouraging me with this truth that you wrote. Love you!